Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default hand drilling- cutting oil vs. water soluble stuff

Neon John wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jul 2015 16:10:38 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

I do have a tube of some sort of cutting wax, have used it with larger taps with
success. I never did see what it did with the portaband saw. Tried it on a hacksaw
for the hell of it and all it did was bind to the metal being cut off a clog the
teeth. Had to clean the blade with a file card to use it again.

the beeswax works well because the blade gets hot enough to melt it;
the liquid wax flowing out of the cut carries away the chips. I think
you'd have to work pretty hard to get a hacksaw hot enough to do that.

fair enough.