Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus22127 Ignoramus22127 is offline

Default Does this wire rope need to be replaced?

On 2015-07-19, Gunner Asch wrote:

You should have had your readers on for that pic, Gramps. The rust
cakes on top of that cable were deep. Last pic, magnified.

I did, sonny. The wraps were filled with dirt and rust, its true. Now
if Iggy took out a angle grinder with a cup wheel on it...and gave it
a quick cleaning..I think we would find its in much better shape than
one would think.

Shrug...between lumbering as a kid..and working for a hell of a long
time in the oil patch..steel cable is not..not unfamiliar to me.

But hey...Im 2500 miles away and frankly..I dont care much..but
replacing 200 feet of it is going to be a bit..spendy, when purchasing
decent line.

http://unirope.com/products/ropes/wi...ope-selection/

There are several types that would do him a good job...the Super 8-R
looks quite good.

You do sound like you know something, indeed...