Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default scott portable welder

On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 19:13:00 -0700, wrote:

SNIP

This project happens after I sit down and figure out ratios so we can
turn a triple sheave drive pulley. He doesn't have a shaper, but I'm
pretty sure he has a set of broaches for cutting the keyway. Tubal
Cain has a good video on it.
http://tinyurl.com/qxblhz4 Last year, I
found a $12.50 electronic tacho for fine tuning. Glenn has a little
forge set up, so we can actually cast this beastie in aluminum.
_BILLET_, BABY! g

I have always thought that billet meant forged or rolled material. as
oipposed to a chunk of cast material. So a chunk of cast material
could be machined into a part but the part could not be said to have
been machined from billet unless that cast chunk had first been forged
or rolled into a billet. Certainly a person can tell if the chunk
being machined is in the as cast form or in the rolled ("billet") or
forged ("billet") form.

I was keeping in line with the total disregard folks have had in using
the word "billet" for the past decade or so.

--
My desire to be well-informed is currently
at odds with my desire to remain sane. --Sipkess