Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Volker Borchert Volker Borchert is offline

Default Strange thread

Futility Man wrote:
On 15 Jul 2015 21:24:49 GMT, (Volker Borchert) wrote:

WTF is this? It's obviously neither M12(x1,75) nor UNC1/2x13...
Is there an UNC15/32x13? Or even a cross-over 12mmx13TPI?

Go to a good hardware and buy every size bolt that even remotely
looks like it will fit. Carefully try each one. Check other
bolts on the machine. It is very likely that another bolt on the
machine is the same size. Find another bolt from the machine that
will fit, take it to a good hardware supply or an IH dealer, and
have them match it up.

Desperate situations demand desperate measures. Might be worth
trying, thank you for the ideas.

If the rest of the machine is metric, it's not likely that this
hole is SAE, and vice versa.

1. The rest of the machine is mixed... I have encountered 1/2"x13 UNC,
M8x1.0, M27x1.5

2. That knuckle is second source.

3. The bolts from the worn out knuckle have 13tpi, about 11.7mm outer
diameter. But their threads don't look so good. I think I'd have
used them had they fitted properly, but I'll try them again. Easy.
REAL easy. And I'll take them to the dealer.

--

"I'm a doctor, not a mechanic." Dr Leonard McCoy
"I'm a mechanic, not a doctor." Volker Borchert