Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Frnak McKenney Frnak McKenney is offline

Default I need a good IR absorbing surface

On Wed, 15 Jul 2015 08:53:19 -0700, wrote:
On Wed, 15 Jul 2015 17:40:21 +1000, Jon Anderson
wrote:

I was just looking at some of my IR photos, and realized asphalt comes
up dead black, near zero reflectance. Maybe give a clue to materials
that absorb. Suspect maybe rubber might absorb too. Maybe a patch of
innertube stapled to the underside of the counter?

Jon

If I can't find some paper or fabric to work I do have some rubber
sheet I copuld try. Thanks.

Eric,

It has been a few years since I dealt with IR, and that was near IR (e.g.
your typical remote control):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrar...n_the_infrared

I was attempting to make a small robot's IR reflectance sensors work so
it would follow a black line, but a number of visible-light "black"
substances did not have any effect (the sensor couldn't distinguish them
from plain white):

- InkJet black ink (water-based)
- Permanent markers (those tested)
- Black acrylic paint
- At least one marker claiming to be "pigmented"

These _were_ noticed:

- Laser printer "black" (fused plastic toner)
- Black tempera paint
- Strips of black supermarket-chicken containers (both the foamy kind
and the flat plastic kind)

I was _told_ that most "pigmented" paints, markers would absorb IR (at
least near IR), but my own results were mixed -- possibly a tribute to
American Marketing's triumph over providing clear information. ( Sigh. )

Just for grins, if you have access to a laser printer, try printing a
solid black square of "sufficient size" and hold/tape it in place to see
if it helps.

Good luck...

Frank McKenney
--
A beginning naturalist, fired by adolescent enthusiasm but short
theory and vision, I had schooled myself in natural history with