Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Ford 9" axle

On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 09:07:33 -0700, wrote:

SNIP

Just general comments. You use what you have available. Tig and Mig
require getting the metal clean. There is no flux to get rid of any
oxides. In the best of all possible worlds, you would use dual
shield. That is a wire for a Mig welder that has some flux in the
core. But you use it with a shielding gas. So dual shield. Best of
all possible worlds where you have almost clean metal.

I do have a roll of .030 flux core MIG wire , and could use it with
C25/Ar/CO2 , I have all 3 on hand . That would work on the cracks in the
axle tube itself , it's within the thickness limitations of my little 110
MIG machine - especially with the flux core , it burns hotter than solid
wire .

SNIP
Greetings Terry,
Dual shield wire is not the same as running flux core with shielding
gas. It is a type of flux cored welding wire that mjust be used with
shielding gas in order to weld right. I was told by Ernie that running
regular flux core wire with shielding gas wouldn't work very well.
Nevertheless I tried it just to see how bad it welded. It did not work
well. Ernie was, of course, correct.
Eric

Right. If you want a short, not-too-technical explanation about the
differences between plain flux-core and flux-core made for dual-shield
welding, this brief explanation from Lincoln Electric does it:

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...lectrodes.aspx

--
Ed Huntress