Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John B. Slocomb[_3_] John B. Slocomb[_3_] is offline

Default Source of one's rights? One's creator, of course was Confederate History - Dispelling The Myths

On Wed, 15 Jul 2015 11:55:11 -0700, Delvin Benet wrote:

On 7/15/2015 11:49 AM, pyotr filipivich wrote:
Gunner Asch on Wed, 15 Jul 2015 11:28:22 -0700
On Wed, 15 Jul 2015 18:09:11 +0700, John B. Slocomb
wrote:

On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 17:45:59 -0700 (PDT), Rex
wrote:

On Monday, July 13, 2015 at 9:16:06 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 07/13/2015 06:55 PM, wrote:
And I say that you have intrinsic rights whether or not your
government respects them.

You have whatever rights you can defend. Where do those 'intrinsic'
rights come from?

From the Creator, as noted in the aforementioned documents.
And yes, I'm prepared to defend those rights.

If the "Creator" is the "God of Abraham", when did he hand out these
rights? Yes, I know that he handed out his laws, but the rights? I
don't seem to find a reference to any "rights".

Why would you assume it to be the "God of Abraham"?

As I explained it to a friend we are "endowed by our Creator with
certain unalienable right." That Creator can be God, or it can be
your sire and dame. But the rights are intrinsic to you, not a boon
granted by the King.

As I explained earlier, rights are an artifact of human imagination.
They exist because we can imagine them, and our existence is better for
imagining and then acknowledging them. As you note, they are not
"granted" by king or any other entity - they are inherent in all people.
They may not always be respected, but that's why we speak of rights
being violated, not having been withdrawn.

I think that you are using a lot of words to say nothing. We may well
imagine that you have a right to have money and rob the 7-11 to get
some money to buy booze with, after all we have the right to abuse out
bodies if we wish... Unfortunately nearly all societies deny you that
right. You may imagine that you should be paid a day's wages for a
day's work but almost all societies deny that and grab part of your
money to help the illegal immigrants that Gunner worries about.

So what are these inherent rights?
--
cheers,

John B.