Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ford 9" axle

On Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 3:07:30 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:

It's stripped to the bare housing , and has been "degreased" with a
water-based solution . It's actually pretty clean except what's trapped in
the cracks and in the porous welds . If I use a brake cleaner it'll be a
non-chlorinated one , I've read about the potential to produce phosgene gas
under the right conditions . More likely I'll use carb spray as someone
upthread suggested .
--
Snag

Try using some paint thinner and lots of paper towels. You do not need a spray can to get the solvent to the crack. You do need something like the paper towels to get the solvent out of the crack by capillary action. Maybe some compressed air would help get the solvent out of the crack.

Dan