Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Electrical - what's wrong with this?

. 4.170...
Martin Eastburn fired this volley in
:

Whatever.

Do I correctly interpret your "whatever" to say that in your opinion
SO2
IS the 'rotten eggs smell'. Or is it some other mental shrug you're
doing.

If you are maintaing that, I'll give you a simple experiment that
will
generate all the SO2 you want, so you can smell it, and see if it
reminds
you of rotten eggs.

Just make a pile of about a teaspoonful flowers of sulfur on a
fireproof
surface. Heaping it up as high as possible will help.

Gently play a torch flame over the pile. It'll start to look molten
in
drops, then turn a reddish color, then brown, the parts will go back
yellow and catch fire with a faint blue flame. It will flicker and
lick,
and you may have to keep the torch at the ready to keep it burning.

The gas coming off that blue fire is sulfur dioxide. Take a SMALL
sniff,
and get back with us on your impressions.

Lloyd

A lead-acid battery smells slightly of SO2.but not H2S with the filler
caps off.