Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default 12v inverters - Output voltage too high?

On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 6:57:08 AM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:

https://www.automationdirect.com/sta.../sj100/ch6.pdf
"Note 3: A general-purpose digital volt meter (DVM) is not usually
suitable to measure
a distorted waveform (not pure sinusoid)."

Amen to that. A nominal 230VAC (rms) sine wave will be 650VPP. and will read right around 230V on a "normal, cheap, non-rms" meter. A square wave with an RMS voltage of 230V will be 460VPP, but the cheap meter won't know what to make of it. Once you add the word "modified" to the waveform, all bets for an accurate reading are off with the cheap meter.

Later in the thread, it was suggested that plugging a transformer into the inverter and into the mains produced the same output voltage. That suggests to me that the transformer is filtering the waveform enough that the meter is less whacked out. My GUESS is that the inverter is doing what it's supposed to do, and the meter is just confused.