Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington[_2_] David Billington[_2_] is offline

Default Does molten copper stick to steel or cast iron

On 07/07/15 18:54, Ignoramus11126 wrote:
I wanted to melt copper and cast an ingot.

My question is, can I melt it in an iron tray and cast into a cast
iron pot?

Or will copper dissolve/stick to iron?

I don't know about this but wondered how copper was added to tin in
Britannia metal (modern pewter, often 92 6 2 92% tin 6 % antimony, 2%
copper) and was told by the producer that the copper was just added to
the molten tin and it dissolved like sugar in a cup of tea, made sense
as it is the same process, the tin melting at a far lower temperature
than the copper. Maybe a look for metal solublity may give some insite,
the soldering irons I like, Antex, have iron plated copper bits to stop
the copper dissolving in the molten solder, probably fairly common practice.