Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Does molten copper stick to steel or cast iron

On 7/7/2015 3:32 PM, Cydrome Leader wrote:
If the next question is "can aluminum be melted in steel or irons pots"
the correct answer is no, unless they're coated. Molten aluminum will eat
away and dissolve the steel, and far faster than you might imagine at
first.

Not in my experience. My crucible is steel and has no visible signs of
being dissolved away. Maybe in time it would, but that time would be
long after it had satisfied all my needs.

Not to say that a "real" crucible wouldn't be better, but steel does work.

Bob