Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Does molten copper stick to steel or cast iron

Terry Coombs wrote:
Ignoramus11126 wrote:
I wanted to melt copper and cast an ingot.

My question is, can I melt it in an iron tray and cast into a cast
iron pot?

Or will copper dissolve/stick to iron?

You need a real crucible (probably a clay/graphite at those temps) for those
temps , and green sand or oil bonded sand for the mold . What kind of heat
source and enclosure di you have in mind ? There are naturally aspirated
LPG/natgas burners that will put out that much heat , but forced air is
probably more efficient . I suggest you start with aluminum and work up to
the hotter melting metals ...

If the next question is "can aluminum be melted in steel or irons pots"
the correct answer is no, unless they're coated. Molten aluminum will eat
away and dissolve the steel, and far faster than you might imagine at
first.