Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Can I melt lead?

On Sun, 05 Jul 2015 06:31:24 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 04 Jul 2015 16:02:51 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 04 Jul 2015 11:38:29 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Tom Gardner on Sat, 04 Jul 2015 06:51:03 -0400 typed
On 7/3/2015 1:59 AM, pyotr filipivich wrote:

OTOH, my brother managed to strip the wax off the kitchen floor
when he spilled a quarter pound of molten lead off the stove. Didn't
get a drop on him, but we found lead under the fridge when we moved
out.
--
pyotr filipivich

My best is having a live primer somehow getting into the boolit reject
can then pouring the rejects into the melt pot. I still have lead spots
on the ceiling and not a speck got on me. I check everything that goes
in the pot very carefully.

Had a friend melting down pewter ware. Didn't know about the
hollow handle - big splash of pewter all over the basement.

Oh, and I once notices something odd about the 303 round - primer
was inserted backwards.

Doesnt go Bang very well in that orientation.

The question is: How do you press and seat one backwards without it
going off?

It takes more energy (usually) directly over the "anvil" to set off a
primer than slowly pushing it in (or out) takes.

If you find a loaded cartridge with an upside down primer, pull the
bullet, dump the powder and then knock out the primer as normal on
your press...just dont be surprised it if goes POP!. Do this in your
press and take a stout rag and put it around the depriming groove in
the back of the ram before pushing on the primer as occasionally that
tiny little "anvil" will come blasting out and it Hurts! if it hits
you in the face on the bounce.

Gunner