Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Everything you didnt want to know about slavery

On Sun, 05 Jul 2015 13:49:45 +0700, John B.
wrote:

On Sat, 04 Jul 2015 08:06:41 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 04 Jul 2015 20:13:10 +0700, John B.
wrote:

While it is probably that some Blacks did own slaves, where did you
get "the with the top 30 slave owners/sellers...being
themselves...black"

http://slaverebellion.org/index.php?...k-slave-owners

Lots and lots more out there..need more?

Yes, I believe some more might be useful. Your reference states that
there were a number of black slave owners in Louisiana in 1860 and
lists approximately 550 slaves owned,,,, out of a slave population of
some 331,726. So according to your reference Blacks owned some 0.1% of
the slaves in Louisiana.

I must say, that is something to really get excited about!

Johnny...several of those were slave sellers. They bought and sold
slaves..so your claim they only owned 550 is bogus.

It isn't my claim that I quoted. I read the article that you
referenced and quoted numbers that the article stated. Just as I said
I did.

But the fact that some free blacks in the South had slaves, or traded
slaves, is sort of silly isn't it? After all, where did the slaves
come from?

You don't really think that those scoundrels on the slave ships
discovered a tree in Africa that grew "slaves" and they sailed over
there and just picked them off the tree.... do you?

But a little more research seems to show that the Free Black
population of the United States in 1830 was 319,599. or about 2% of
the total U.S. population. Of these apparently some 3,775 were slave
owners and they owned some 12,760 slaves out of a total slave
population of 2,009,043 slaves.

So, 1% of the Free Blacks owned some 0.6% of the slaves.

By Godfery! That is something to really ruffle a fellows feathers,
isn't it.

Ruffle feathers? Whatever for? Slavery was ended by 1867 in the US

Were you trying to make some point?

Gunner