Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Can I melt lead?

Larry Jaques on Sat, 04 Jul 2015
04:48:35 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
On Fri, 03 Jul 2015 21:54:12 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Thu, 02 Jul 2015 22:59:41 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

JoshAGS on Fri, 03
Jul 2015 03:18:01 +0000 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the
following:
I was wondering if it's okay to melt a small amount of lead on my stove.
It's possible but I heard it creates toxic fumes. I only want to melt
about 1 once worth of fishing sinkers into 1 solid piece. Is this fine or
should I still do it outside?

Depends on who you talk to. Having melted enough lead to fill a
pop can on a gas stove - I'd say an ounce is likely to be no problem.
Just don't use the good cookware, and wash your hands afterwards.
OTOH, there are those who will react as if you were handling
molten plutonium, and insist you follow all the EPA/OSHA/Sierra Club
regulations as would applied to M. A. Metal Corporation, or Government
Motors.
--
pyotr filipivich

IVe cast bullets for aprox 35 yrs. On average when I do a rough
melt..turning wheel weights into ingots...I do about 2000 pounds at a
time. Ill do that at least once a year...x 35 yrs....70,000 lbs in 35
yrs.

I dont eat while doing the rough melt, I do it outside and I try to
stay upwind. Now remelting those ingots into bullets...I tend to do
that inside, but I have a "range hood" over my casting area and I suck
the smoke outside using fans. So Ill remelt that 2000 lbs at least
one more time...make that 150,000 lbs of lead melting. Ive had myself
tested for lead..and only once in all those years have I showed any
elevation whatsoever and it was so small it may have been a glitch in
the testing. Oh..and I wash my hands during the bullet casting and
then and only then light a cigarette.

Im small scale compared to a lot of guys..so melting lead wont make
your pecker fall off and it wont turn you into a Democrat.

Bbut, I thought you were registered Demonrat.

Take it from me, guys. Gunner isn't too awfully dain bramaged after
all that lead work.

No, the brain damage is why he started melting all that lead.
--
pyotr filipivich