Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Neon John Neon John is offline

Default Can I melt lead?

On Fri, 03 Jul 2015 03:18:01 +0000, JoshAGS
wrote:

I was wondering if it's okay to melt a small amount of lead on my stove.
It's possible but I heard it creates toxic fumes. I only want to melt
about 1 once worth of fishing sinkers into 1 solid piece. Is this fine or
should I still do it outside?

Your stove is fine. Any fumes generated will be the higher volatility
tin/zinc/antimony vaporizing out from impure lead. This is generally
not a problem if you don't overheat the lead.

Run your stove's vent hood and don't worry about it. Even if you did
overheat the lead enough to generated lead fumes, as the old saying
goes "The devil's in the dose". You're dealing with such a tiny
amount of lead that a significant amount of fumes could be generated,
in practical terms.

John

John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com