Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Can I melt lead?

On Sat, 04 Jul 2015 06:58:47 -0400, Tom Gardner
wrote:

On 7/3/2015 9:18 PM, JoshAGS wrote:
replying to JoshAGS, JoshAGS wrote:
JoshAGS wrote:

I was wondering if it's okay to melt a small amount of lead on my stove.

It's
possible but I heard it creates toxic fumes. I only want to melt about 1

once
worth of fishing sinkers into 1 solid piece. Is this fine or should I
still

do
it outside?

Everyone stop freaking out? I'm only melting an ounce of lead in a small
skillet I bought for melting zinc. I'm only going to melt lead once in my
life and this is only a small amount. I'm melting it for display so I can
put it in my element collection.

You will die no doubt...just not from Lead poisoning. But, it might rip
a hole in the space/time continuum and destroy the Universe

Hold a steel container with vice grips over your favorite propane
torch..and simply wiggle the can around a little bit. For an ounce..Id
not bother even fluxing it. If you feel the need...drop in a pinch off
a beeswax candle and wiggle it around a tad. Hell..an ounce of lead is
about the size of your thumb from the tip to the first joint..unless
you have hands like me..then its 3 oz.

Gunner