Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Solar plane reaches Hawaii

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
On Fri, 3 Jul 2015 17:42:48 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 1:52:29 PM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:

I guess you are. Doing it on sunlight alone is a remarkable
technical
achievement.

--
Ed Huntress

So what are the technical advances? A new type of solar cell? A
new type of battery? A new material used in the frame or covering
of the aircraft?

The TV program I saw said it was a publicity stunt to promote solar
cell useage. The big technical advance according to the TV was a
seat with a built in toilet.

I thought we already had solar powered drones that could remain
aloft for days.

Like that of the Wright brothers, the achievement of something that
hadn't been done before.

--
Ed Huntress

Do you remember the first non-stop, non-refueled flight around the
world? It wasn't that long ago.

The longest refueled flight stayed in the air for two MONTHS.
http://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=16948

Hardly anyone noticed the first commercial aircraft flight around the
world:
http://blog.nasm.si.edu/aviation/dec...ercial-flight/

This is the sort of accomplishment that has real significance:
http://airminded.org/2009/10/23/the-great-air-race/
"Could any more striking contrast be imagined than the weariness and
exhaustion of Scott and Black and the pleasant excitement of
Parmentier's passengers, who flew in the world's most notable race as
tourists?"

First place went to a custom British racer, second to a standard US
airliner which stopped for passengers. The DC-2 was an early version
of the classic DC-3, the 247D its similar Boeing competitor. The
British winner was made of wood.

One of the DNF competitors was the second person to solo the Atlantic,
after Lindbergh. Do you know who?

I ask to demonstrate how little it meant.

-jsw