Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Can I melt lead?

No problem. Get a pan that you will throw away. And keep the temp
low - just melting it and then some. Borax will do as a flux and keep
the fumes down. Keeping it cool - not over heated - will prevent fumes.

Hot plates outside is better. Be up wind and don't let it get over heated.

It should be done outside on a camp stove or BBQ. I use my furnace when
I have pounds of it to melt. Then, it is a alloy of metals for a
friend... :-)

Martin

On 7/2/2015 10:18 PM, JoshAGS wrote:
I was wondering if it's okay to melt a small amount of lead on my stove.
It's possible but I heard it creates toxic fumes. I only want to melt
about 1 once worth of fishing sinkers into 1 solid piece. Is this fine or
should I still do it outside?