Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Can I melt lead?

On 2015-07-03, JoshAGS wrote:
I was wondering if it's okay to melt a small amount of lead on my stove.
It's possible but I heard it creates toxic fumes. I only want to melt
about 1 once worth of fishing sinkers into 1 solid piece. Is this fine or
should I still do it outside?

Have you ever done any electronic/electrical soldering? You are
melting an alloy of lead and tin to do that. (Yes, a bit lower
temperature than the melting point of pure lead -- or of pure tin -- but
considering how much electronics soldering I've done over the years, no
worry.

Melting pure lead I did as a kid outdoors - because there was no
safe place to do it indoors -- from the hazards of spills, not from
fumes.

You are using a small enough quantity so it is no worry.

Just wash your hands after doing this before conveying anything
to your mouth. (Again, not really a problem for a single event, but for
regular practice, yes.)

For that matter -- if you cast bullets, there is an electric pot
which will melt lead on your workbench, and squirt it into molds as you
lift a lever. Again -- no problem other than wash your hands after
using it.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--