Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

Default Can I melt lead?

On Thu, 02 Jul 2015 22:59:41 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

JoshAGS on Fri, 03
Jul 2015 03:18:01 +0000 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the
following:
I was wondering if it's okay to melt a small amount of lead on my stove.
It's possible but I heard it creates toxic fumes. I only want to melt
about 1 once worth of fishing sinkers into 1 solid piece. Is this fine or
should I still do it outside?

Depends on who you talk to. Having melted enough lead to fill a
pop can on a gas stove - I'd say an ounce is likely to be no problem.
Just don't use the good cookware, and wash your hands afterwards.
OTOH, there are those who will react as if you were handling
molten plutonium, and insist you follow all the EPA/OSHA/Sierra Club
regulations as would applied to M. A. Metal Corporation, or Government
Motors.
--
pyotr filipivich

Many years ago we melted lead ingots outside using a propane burner.
Probably get jailed for 20 years now for some environmental crime.

We were pouring parts of massive lead shields for gamma ray sensors.

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany