Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rudy Canoza[_3_] Rudy Canoza[_3_] is offline

Default Can I melt lead?

On 7/2/2015 9:01 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 02 Jul 2015 20:29:43 -0700, mike wrote:

On 7/2/2015 8:18 PM, JoshAGS wrote:
I was wondering if it's okay to melt a small amount of lead on my stove.
It's possible but I heard it creates toxic fumes. I only want to melt
about 1 once worth of fishing sinkers into 1 solid piece. Is this fine or
should I still do it outside?

OUTSIDE!!!

Please stop scaring the potential Darwin Awardees, mike. Well, at
least you didn't tell him not to use a food pan to melt it.

We used to melt lead fishing weights to add needed weight to our
Pinewood Derby cars in Cub Scouts. I think we used an empty "tin" food
can - maybe a Campbell's soup can, or perhaps a Starkist tuna can. We
did it right on the stove. I am not aware of anyone in my community
then suffering any effects of lead poisoning.

Seeing this thread and having found a few pages in a search, I think I'd
do it outside today.