Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Jenny/Emglo compressor opinions

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 10:53:04 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

That, or letting the gaskets dry out between uses/old drying gas
varnishing up...

Which is the problem, storing dry or letting the gas deteriorate?

I can honestly say that I have never had a problem with gas going
bad,
in CA, AZ, or OR. I usually start things up every year, so fresh
gas
is going in once annually, and I store it outside in a semi-open
shed.
It's all ethanol-douched now, too. (hate the stuff)

Things I've bought from garage sales usually had problems from being
stored for ten years or so with gas (or gas/oil blend) in them. But
because I always rebuilt the carbs on auto engines which had been
sitting more than a year, I never had too many problems.

I think I've seen more problems on yard implements from being stored
too long with gas/oil in them. I've seen gasket leaks on dry-stored
motors, but they usually -run- on the first fillup without problems.

Or both?

Yeah, probably C- both of the above.

The bowl gaskets crumbled when I removed the bowl to clean and dry
it
before putting the engine away.

I sure like the nitrile o-ring bowl gaskets on some MC carbs.

The problems I've noticed are oxidation (turning rancid) which I can
smell and gelling which a filter screen funnel removes, or I blow out
the infected carb with air. Turning yellower is a common indication of
deterioration in a wide range of organic compounds.

I believe without proof that it keeps well in nearly full sealed
containers that exclude oxygen and moisture, which means 1 and 2.5
gallon cans for small engine gas so they don't stay partly empty for
long, but I don't use enough to really test my theory.

When I need one carb part I buy two, and label the spare.

-jsw