Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Jenny/Emglo compressor opinions

On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 10:53:04 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 19:31:23 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

I have an Emglo gasoline driven portable compressor that has been
an
exceptionaly handy compressor. Has a B&S 5hp motor on it that I
need
to replace the seals in the carby..but it worked very well for
many
years. Its on my To Do list. $10 at an auction some 10 or so
years
ago as I recall. It still works just hunky dorey..but the carby is
bad
and runs like crap. ....

Gunner

Funny, I've had to replace several old float bowl gaskets in the
last
few years. I wonder if it's something about the gas.

That, or letting the gaskets dry out between uses/old drying gas
varnishing up...

Which is the problem, storing dry or letting the gas deteriorate?

I can honestly say that I have never had a problem with gas going bad,
in CA, AZ, or OR. I usually start things up every year, so fresh gas
is going in once annually, and I store it outside in a semi-open shed.
It's all ethanol-douched now, too. (hate the stuff)

Things I've bought from garage sales usually had problems from being
stored for ten years or so with gas (or gas/oil blend) in them. But
because I always rebuilt the carbs on auto engines which had been
sitting more than a year, I never had too many problems.

I think I've seen more problems on yard implements from being stored
too long with gas/oil in them. I've seen gasket leaks on dry-stored
motors, but they usually -run- on the first fillup without problems.

Or both?

Yeah, probably C- both of the above.

The bowl gaskets crumbled when I removed the bowl to clean and dry it
before putting the engine away.

I sure like the nitrile o-ring bowl gaskets on some MC carbs.

--
Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult,
whereas I am merely in disguise.