Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What are these self tapping screws called that form "real" threads?

On Sat, 27 Jun 2015 00:33:05 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 20:25:34 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:
I try to avoid buying much Chicom fasteners...though its getting
damned hard to find any quality fasteners these days.
It should be noted though..that the Chicoms are about where the Japs
used to be in fastener making. Not half bad, unless you are buying
second quality.."B" grade stuff.

I've had too many where the head separated from the threaded portion
of the screw/bolt, and also quite a few unthreaded bolts in a box.

Recently, I've had a rash of blast media (small clear crystals) in the
philips head slots of micronized galv deck screws. They're also too
hard, breaking where the thread and shank meet or up next to the bugle
head. A few out of a 25# box isn't much to consider, but sometimes it
was a few out a single handful of screws.

Yesterday's client wanted me to use an EasyGate kit. One of the
included screw's head was missing the philips depression altogether.
I guess you're supposed to drive those in like nails, eh?

--
Find out what people will submit to, and you have found out the
exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them.