Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus23199 Ignoramus23199 is offline

Default Crane operator license

On 2015-06-26, dpb wrote:
I picked up an old JLG 40H manlift 10 or 12 year ago for $5K off eBay
(also happened to have been located in Chicago area altho it was a
rental turn-in and the broker/seller was in FL). It's been _extremely_
handy around the place altho I got it when was getting started with
reroofing the old barn not long after we had come back to the farm...it
had the advantage or any of the bucket trucks I've seen of the larger
basket that allowed hired hand and I to be able to load up w/ shingle
bundles (went back w/ cedar shakes rather than convert the open-slat
roof to solid to maintain original character) and still be able to get
both of us in there....that would be enough to keep us going until we
needed a ground break and saved schlepping them up and finding/making
storage platforms on the roof. The disadvantage comparatively is its
weight (12000 lb) and less maneuverability and not being "roadable" but
for use just around the farm place that's not a real restriction. Now
that I've had it, it's been handy enough for many other tasks I'd really
miss it if it weren't around.

It needed some maintenance for some leaking cylinder seals here a couple
months ago and I looked some with the idea given its age of maybe just
finding a newer one instead but in a short window nothing came online
that wasn't quite a lot more expensive. I'm sure if one didn't have a
time frame deadline and kept watching bargains are there periodically
still. There was on 60-ft that was "almost" but I decided to spend the
money on this one at least one more time before finally retiring it...

One of the guys who does maintenance for me, knows how to rebuild
cylinders. It is not difficult.