Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What are these self tapping screws called that form "real" threads?

On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 22:12:42 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 19:42:25 +0800, Techman
wrote:

On 25-Jun-15 3:37 PM, Techman wrote:
I'm looking for some screws for use in production work.

*Sick of tapping lots of M4 and M4 holes.
*Used for attaching small brackets and DIN rail etc.
*Fixing to to mild steel 3mm thick or to 1.6mm thick Zinc Anneal sheet.

I've seen screws like in the links below but am having trouble finding
them. When I look for self tapping screws I find the coarse thread type
rather than the defined M4x0.7 or M5x0.8 threads.

Is there a proper name for these screws:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92240200/Tapping%20Screw%20(1).JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92240200/Tapping%20Screw%20(2).JPG

Thanks.

I'm getting closer.

Some seem to be called Taptite,

http://www.shakeproof.com/images/products/taptite/taptite_160px_wide.png

Yeah, I've seen those and wondered what they were called.

Those taptites are thread forming scres.

And others "Type 23"
http://www.boltproducts.com/images/thread%20cutting%20-%20type%2023.gif

Those type23 scres are thread cutting screws.

Yup, that sure looks like the type you wanted. I've been using Type
17 self-tapping deck screws in the recent past.