Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Crane operator license

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 07:15:59 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 19:28:27 -0500, Ignoramus19964
wrote:

OK. I bought a Grove RT-60S crane.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Grove-RT-60S-Crane/

You got screwed. That thing really needs paint.

So, what did you learn about the licensing and such for personal
use?

A retired friend pays the commercial registration fee for his
heavy-duty pickup truck, though I doubt Iggy could claim the crane
as
his personal car.

I've thought about buying a used bucket van for personal use.
http://highperformancecrew.com/showt...GMC-Bucket-Van
"Asking Price: $ 4850.00"

I've had the same thoughts myself. Why a van? Hell to navigate.

They turn up all the time on eBay. Some (a small fleet) '05 1T
GMC/Altec bucket trucks went for $5-7k a few years ago, when I was
looking. They were probably gas, though. I have no idea how
clapped
out a truck can get in service for a decade, either.

They'd be handy as a shop crane, too. Pop the man bucket off and...

I know they aren't practical, but I do have a use right now. A
neighbor and I hired a tree service with a crane to take down mature,
branch-shedding oaks leaning ominously toward our houses. They left
the trunks of mine in a jumble so I could salvage the crooked firewood
and straight sawmill lumber; these trees originally grew straight
without large lower branches in a forest. Now I have a heap of wet
logs 16" to 20" in diameter and up to 25' long to rearrange into a
neat covered stack, cribbed up off the ground and all on my property,
by myself.

I designed my lifting gear to move 8', 1000 Lb sections and this
severely strains some parts of it, though the A frame posts should
support 4700 lbs apiece, assuming they are 25000 lb yield scrap steel,
or 5400 if A36. My 5000 Lb crane scale appears to be cracking as it
won't return to zero, so I bought another one. Fortunately Chinese
ones are fairly cheap if you don't need certifiable accuracy, just
comparison to a proof test load.

I've spent more time repairing and modifying the equipment and
designing the post-and-beam sheds I'll make from the logs, to cut them
to manageable lengths without waste, than moving the wood. This is
what those trolley wheels are for.

-jsw