Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Techman[_2_] Techman[_2_] is offline

Default What are these self tapping screws called that form "real" threads?

On 25-Jun-15 8:17 PM, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 15:37:07 +0800, Techman
wrote:

I'm looking for some screws for use in production work.

*Sick of tapping lots of M4 and M4 holes.
*Used for attaching small brackets and DIN rail etc.
*Fixing to to mild steel 3mm thick or to 1.6mm thick Zinc Anneal sheet.

I've seen screws like in the links below but am having trouble finding
them. When I look for self tapping screws I find the coarse thread type
rather than the defined M4x0.7 or M5x0.8 threads.

Is there a proper name for these screws:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92240200/Tapping%20Screw%20(1).JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92240200/Tapping%20Screw%20(2).JPG

Thanks.

Google on "thread cutting screws". Even Amazon sells them :-)

--
cheers,

John B.

Thanks John