Default Washing machne Motor wiring help!

On 05 Aug 2003 19:08:16 -0400, Sam Goldwasser
wrote:

writes:

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 21:30:05 +0000 (UTC), "Tom Jacobs"
wrote:

Many of the early UK front loading washing machines used multi
winding squirrel cage capacitor start and run induction motors. These
had typically a high power (about 1/3HP) 2 pole winding for the spin
cycle and a low power (about 1/8 HP) 6 or 8 pole winding for low speed
wash cycle. Because these were induction motors the natural speed
regulation was quite good and electronic control was not needed.

Later machines needed a lot more power for the high speed spin
cycles and these used high speed series wound commutator motors
because these can deliver much more power (1/2 to 1Hp short term
rated) for a given size and cost.

SNIP

Sorry, don't take this as a criticism or anything more extreme but why
do European washers need so much more speed for the spin than American
machines? As far as I know, we are still happily using induction motors.
And, no it's not the difference between 50 and 60 Hz.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

I know nothing about American front loaders but I would be
surprised if they are still using 60Hz induction motors as the
commutator motor solution delivers better performance at a lower cost.
In the UK climate which, much of the time is cold and wet (not at
present!), high spin speed is much appreciated as it gives a better
chance of getting your washing dry in a reasonable time.

Machines using series wound wound commutator motors are now
beginning to disappear as these are being replaced, first by permanent
magnet commutator motors and later by direct electronic drive
brushless motors.

Jim