Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default 3-flute and 5-flute measuring

On Wednesday, June 24, 2015 at 5:49:14 PM UTC-4, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
fired this volley in
:

Most people have a height gauge, indicator and a V-Block so that's the
quick and dirty way to do it.

Yep, but with 3 and 5-flute tools, different v-blocks. I have the height
gauge. I can also do the check on the Darex, but I would have to mount and
check 'good' tools that way, too.

Again, I was looking for a sort of "shop craft" method. Apparently, none
exists, or is so old as not to be employed anymore.

Lloyd

Why would you need different v-blocks for 3- & 5-flute tools? From a few posts ahead of this one:

Mic the shank diameter.

Place shank in V-Block, put dial indicator tip on high spot of shank (center) and zero out indicator.

Move indicator to flute, measure high spot on flute, difference between shank and flute reading is radial value that value X 2 gives you the difference in diameter.

If needs be, check each flute to see what the run out may be.