Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Acid resistant materials

"rangerssuck" wrote in message
On Saturday, June 20, 2015 at 12:57:55 PM UTC-4, Gerry wrote:
I am working on a packaging machine that is used to package various
acids in quart and gallon plastic bottles. It will be used with
phosphoric, HCl, sulfuric and hydrofluoric acids in fairly high
concentrations. The fill nozzles are made from CPVC and are made to
by-pass when the bottle gets filled to a certain level. They are
prone to breakage. I need to remake them in a material/design that
will reduce the breakage. My question is is there a stainless alloy
that would hold up to these acids? The part of the nozzle that
breaks is a tube, roughly 3/8" OD with a 1/4" ID with a cone
machined into one end and threads on the other. Rather than redesign
the whole CPVC nozzle I am wondering if I can just turn the piece
that fails with something stronger. Any comments/suggestions will be
appreciated. TIA

In addition to the material selections suggested by others, I'd be
looking at WHY the nozzles are breaking. Perhaps you could fix this
with better positioning or timing? I recently fixed a machine that had
been giving the operators fits for years simply by moving a sensor to
a place where it got a cleaner shot at the product going by, greatly
improving the repeatablity of the system.

Of the materials selected, sapphire gets my vote as the most exotic,
but UHMWPE is so friggin easy to machine...

What are the bottles made from?