Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Picture of a broken crankshaft

On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 08:47:22 -0500, Ignoramus9052

On 2015-06-23, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jun 2015 23:02:16 -0500, Ignoramus8881
wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/crankshaft.jpg

They abused the **** out of that crank. See the scoring on the driven
side?

No lube there in a long time.

Great observation!

This was from a punch press.

This is how most Chicago people use most equipment, in general.

Folks here seem to forget I work on and repair this sort of thing.
Machinery in machine shops Shrug. Its how Ive made my living for 20
yrs.

The folks that owned that press had zero maintainece. Even if they
were paying somebody. Having a crank that badly scored is clear
indication that sooner or later..somebody is gonna **** up badly
enough to bust that same crank.

What happened..die platten bolts break and the platten shift? That
wasnt a "crystalization" break of the crank..but a full power ****up.
Anyone get hurt when it all broke loose?

GUnner