Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Fabing a supply plenum/return plenum and filter box

On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 11:45:20 -0700 (PDT), stryped
wrote:

On Tuesday, June 23, 2015 at 11:14:46 AM UTC-5, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 09:13:41 -0700 (PDT), stryped
wrote:

On Tuesday, June 23, 2015 at 11:04:30 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jun 2015 20:23:23 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 22 Jun 2015 16:56:59 -0700 (PDT), stryped
wrote:

How did you solder it and with what? Does soldering not remove the galvanized coating?
Use a tinners iron - I have an electric one - the original "tinner's
iron" was heated with a blowtorch. Flux the galvanized and solder it
together - the zinc stays on the steel.

DON"T try soldering it with a torch. You WILL burn off the zinc, and
it will rust bedause you will overheat the joint.
I soldered mine with a torch and didn't burn off the zinc. I used
regular lead fee plumbing solder and paste flux. The solder melts at a
much lower than it takes to burn off the zinc. You need to keep the
flame moving. If you let it dwell it can then heat up a spot enough to
damage the zinc. There are available (at least there used to be)
soldering tips for a propane torch that fit over the torch head and
use a screw to hold them in place. One of these would work very well
for soldering galvanized sheet.
Eric

I assume a propane torch?

A soldering tip for a propane torch sounds like a great invention. I have never heard of one.

I think I still have mine, which I bought 40 years ago. But I find my
450 W iron more convenient to use.

--
Ed Huntress

An online search yielded zero results. Am I understanding it correctly, a tip that attached to a propane torch and the torch heats the tip and the tip is what you solder with?

Yes. The tip is ahead of the flame, and there are ports for the flames
to come out of the sides of the tip, behind the copper part.

I found it very awkward to handle and use, but it would do the job in
a pinch -- if it didn't catch something on fire.

I would love to have a hi watt electric one but they are rather expensive to buy for just one project....

Mine is at least 60 years old. It was used for soldering copper
standing-seam roofs. I've used it for sheet-metal work and it's great
to have that much heat. The tip must weight over a pound.

I also had four furnace-heated soldering coppers, which I gave to a
collector some years ago. Those were great if you had a small foundry
or furnace to heat them, but heating them with a plumber's torch was a
pain in the rear.

--
Ed Huntress