Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] brewertr@aol.com is offline

Default 3-flute and 5-flute measuring

On Friday, June 19, 2015 at 2:40:41 AM UTC-7, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
snip

Did you have a particular V-block in mind?

A precision ground V-Block would be my preference. Size depends upon the range of cutters you want to check.

If any one flute were more than half-a-tenth out, I would think it was a
cheap Chinese cutter.

Lloyd

Unless I missed something, we are talking about re-grinds so tolerance is up to the people and equipment doing the regrinds. Also .00005" seems a little tight for a regrind where most peoples tool holders are not that good.

If it is a cheap Chineese cutter I wouldn't even bother to re-grind since the base material itself is questionable at best.

Tom