Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim+[_2_] Tim+[_2_] is offline

Default supermarket fuel

Capitol wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
The Natural wrote:
On 25/08/15 16:27, NY wrote:
wrote in message
b.com...
On 25/08/2015 16:16, NY wrote:

Or are you saying that some engines injected fuel into cool air during
the induction stroke, then compressed the fuel-and-air mixture (as
opposed to just the air) and let combustion occur when the air had been
compressed to a high enough temperature?

There are engines like that.
I once had a two stroke compression ignition engine that did that.
Used to drive a six inch prop.

OK. Fair enough.

But as the title of the thread is "supermarket fuel", let's confine
ourselves to car (and van/lorry) engines. Are there any of those that
ignite a fuel-and-air mixture by compression, rather than injecting fuel
into combustion-heated air?

Not made in the last 25 years, no

So which car/van/lorry used manifold injection in 1990, or 1980, or 1970,
or 1960, or even 1950?

Tim

I've seen crankcase injection on small petrol engines, don't know if it
was applied to larger two stroke diesels.

I can't see it ever being an attractive way of doing things. No control
over "ignition" timing so probably only suitable for engines with very
limited rev ranges.

Tim