Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default supermarket fuel

On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 14:17:40 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

You won't find any petrol that's less than 5% Ethanol, and - unless
clearly labelled E10 - it cannot be more.

Interesting. In the USA (from what I've seen at least) gas stations
either have "CONTAINS 10% ETHANOL" labels on the pumps (identical ones,
so I assume they're statutory standards) or a big sign bragging about
not including ethanol.

US fuel is very different to ours - not just in the octane rating (we use
RON, they use the average of RON and the lower MON - their 89 is about
the same as our 95) - but in the list of stuff they have in. Yep, E10 is
the default over there, but they get all sorts of chemically aggressive
weirdness like oxygenated fuel.

They get E85 widely available, too - as do some European countries,
especially Scandinavia.