Jerry G.

Default Toshiba CF35F40 tuner replacement

To replace the tuner, the main circuit board of the set must come out.
The power supply is part of this, and can be dangerous if you are not
familiar with proper procedures. There may be cable harnesses and etc
that must be disconnected to gain access to the remove the main board to
work on it.

The old tuner must be properly unsoldered from the board without
damaging the traces on either side. The new one is then inserted and
re-soldered back.

After replacing the tuner, the tech is supposed to verify that the
supply voltages to it are correct. He may have to re-initialize the
channel setup to get it going.

In the end, I would advise the non experienced to not do this. You can
not only end up damaging the circuit board, and or causing other damage
to your set, but also be injured! If you damage the set, naturally you
will loose the cost of the tuner, and the scrap the TV set, or have a
much more expensive repair to do. But, if you have an injury, this is
another matter.

In the re-assembly of the set, if you do not do something right, or not
proper check things out, there is the electrical safety aspect for
grounds, connections, or of a wire is running across something that runs
hot, and may cause a fire hazard.

I tell people that they should leave the proper jobs for the
professionals who do this all the time, and can be responsible for what
they do.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com
Instruments http://www.zoom-one.com/glgtech.htm
"J. Bryan Wehrenberg" wrote in message
I have a Toshiba CF35F40 that the tuner has gone bad on. I've had a
Best
Buy repairman out to look at it and he determined that was the cause.
However, after about a year he has repeatedly told me that the part is
on
back order through Best Buy and suggested I go through another method to
obtain the part. I was able to order the part through Sears and will
have
it in a few days. Sears will charge me a minimum of $96 to come out and
put
the new tuner in (it may be more, they haven't come out yet.)

My question is: how hard is it to replace the tuner on this unit if
anyone
is familiar with this particular model or how hard is it in general to
replace the tuner? I've done a little research and there can be some
scary
electricity in the back of a TV in certain places and I don't want to
fry
myself to save a $100. However, if it is a simple solder or two around
nothing dangerous, I'm willing to give it a shot (hey, it's broken
already
right?) I'm used to repairing computers at the component level but the
power supplies on those things will only give you a nasty shock, not
kill
you (at least they haven't killed me yet.)

Thanks,
J. Bryan Wehrenberg