Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian-Gaff Brian-Gaff is offline

Default Weird thunder storm

No when I heard this some years ago, it was in June.
I think its either the sound of the huge upright in towering cumulous with
ice in it, or electrostatic effects multiplied by the size of the storm
cell.
Certainly, nothing to worry about.
The storms that worry me and defy all science are the electrical storms
with almost continuous lightning inside clouds but there is no sound of
thunder at all.
Is there a critical size of spark that causes thunder, as to me any spark
makes a sound, even a little one, as you are suddenly heating up air after
all.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

From around 15:00 through to 21:00 yesterday, we had a bit of a storm.

I wish we had some rain to cool things down, it was still 28°C at 9pm, I
thought I'd seen on the weather forecast a horizontal band of rain due to
sweep up across the whole country ... the late night weather report showed
it as a vertical band the only covered the west.

What was really weird, was the noise from the thunder.

There was a combine working until 02:30 here, I know they really like to
keep going once they've started, but I doubt they'd keep going throughout
a storm?