Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham.[_5_] Graham.[_5_] is offline

Default OT Car Dash Cam

On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 22:43:14 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 16:20:12 +0100, Capitol wrote:

I'm just looking for something that will record "it was the stupid
bugger in front's fault"

The prats with Magic Indicators as they join a motorway flowing at
60+ at 40-.

I don't even need it (though it would be nice) to be a good enough

prove who that stupid bugger was.

I don't think there any 4K Dashcams out there yet to enable the
reading of number plate at 25yds of course seeing what the Red BMW
was doing before it collided with something is probably proof enough
as to what happened.

I've bought a couple of cheap units from Amazon. They work remarkably
well.

I've a cheapy as well. Supposed to be "HD" but that is upscaling and
ARCing the native VGA 640x480 sensor. It's good enough to see what's
going on but you can't read the number plate of a vehicle that has
just overtaken you.

The dark performance surprises me,

Not bad in street lit areas but is strictly limited to the bright
zone of the headlights without street lights.

Purely used as a toy so far.

I have it mainly for the winter to show colleagues when I arrive on
site the conditions up here that didn't stop me.

Now I've had it for a while I'd now want one with WiFi or Bluetooth
so you don't have to remove the camera from the car, or the card from
the camera, to transfer movies to somewhere more accessable.

I also have AutoGuard Dash Cam - Blackbox by Hovan Yoo on the
(Android) phone, that works pretty well. Bung that on a dedicated
phone with a HD camera and you get the GPS based stuff and
WiFi/Bluetooth, needs a mount and dark performance might not be very
good. I'm not sure if it has gapless recording though, ie it drops a
second when ending one x minute recording and starting the next. Sods
law dictates that the crucial event will happen in that gap... The
cheapy is gapless.

Here's the latest incident recorded on my very cheap (£10 delivered)
Ebay camara
https://youtu.be/CLk7OpgvqYo?t=70

--

Graham.