Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill[_18_] Bill[_18_] is offline

Default OT Car Dash Cam

In message , Nick
writes
In message 2,
DerbyBorn writes
Thinking of getting one as support in cases of accidents. I recall seeing
enthusiastic reviews some time back (when I wasn't thinking of getting one)
that was about £30.
Has anone any experience of such a cheap camera?

I got one for ~£10 that seems to do the job, but from reading around it
appears that the insurance companies, police etc. aren't interested
unless it's got GPS so that your own speed, location and time can be
verified. I therefore went for the model below, but it's a tad more
than you may want to pay - £150ish.

http://amzn.to/1EKScV9

I'm still using the very cheap sub-£10 ones in the car. I have 2 and
swap them round from time to time. There are occasional problems where I
have to reset, but they are amazingly good for the price.

In the Disco, I have tried an Android tablet in a windscreen mount. It's
a bit big and I had what looked like hum bars moving up the screen until
I poked some rubber between the dash and the tablet to reduce the
vibration.
There is free software, which I think will record the GPS etc. The only
time I've really tried it was on a trip across Wales last summer, and
the quality was excellent. I just did a linear record, but I think it
can be set to loop record.
--
Bill