Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Isolator switch

On 22/08/2015 15:37, Mike Clarke wrote:
On 22/08/2015 13:54, ss wrote:
I will be putting a 3-pole isolator in for a timer extractor fan.
It will be located in the bathroom do the regs stipulate if it has to be
a switch or a fused or pull cord.

As far as I know you'll only find one type of 3 pole fan isolator
switch, e.g. something like:
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AA3PSW.html

The regs require appliances (including switches) to be outside zones 0
to 2 (i.e. where they shouldn't get water splashed on them) or to have a
suitable IP rating.

There's no specific insistence on pull cord switches as such though it's
often a way of positioning the actual switch mechanism outside the zones
and keeping the "human interface" conveniently accessible. Also quite
good practice if there's a possibility of it being operated by someone
with wet hands.

The fan isolator is something which will very rarely need to be
accessed. Normally it will only be used when maintaining the fan so not
much problem if it's high up on the wall. It should, however, be
installed where it can be seen by the person servicing the fan.

Thanks that clarifies it for me.