Posted to uk.d-i-y
michael adams[_8_] michael adams[_8_] is offline

Default Mortice gauge points ~ anyone ever had to replace these?

"Nick" wrote in message
Good evening folks.
I have a couple of old mortice gauges. Both well and regularly used.
The points on both are getting to the point of being errm.... pointless.
I've carefully filed them a few times but they now need replacing.

All are steel points in brass.
The holes in the back side of the brass are smaller than the points.

The reason that the holes at the back are smaller is to allow you
to punch the old ones out with an approprite sized punch or masonry
nail and then when you force fit a new one it won't slide straight
out the back. If it's a close enough fit then its not going to go
anywhere and so no adhesive is necessary. Which makes it, in it's
turn, easier to replace when the time comes.

michael adams