Posted to uk.d-i-y
F Murtz F Murtz is offline

Default Mortice gauge points ~ anyone ever had to replace these?

Nick wrote:
Good evening folks.
I have a couple of old mortice gauges. Both well and regularly used.
The points on both are getting to the point of being errm.... pointless.
I've carefully filed them a few times but they now need replacing.

All are steel points in brass.
The holes in the back side of the brass are smaller than the points.
I've not yet attacked them with anything. Just hoping someone here might
have some knowledge or experience of such.

Thanks,
Nick.

Dont know but it sounds like a taper, just knock them out from the rear
with something that fits the hole in the back and replace them with new
made from something like piano wire.
Unless they are threaded which I doubt.