Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [OT] Wake on LAN

On Thu, 20 Aug 2015 18:48:08 +0100, Lee wrote:

Anyone kicked a windows box into consistently waking up when sent

Wake on LAN "Magic Packet"?

I thought Wake On Lan was a feature of the hardware bios rather

than
the OS.

IMHO that's how it should be, send the packet, hardware recognises it
and instructs the PSU to power up, ie the same as pressing the power
switch to turn the PC on. What happens after that isn't relvant the
PC is on and should boot, wake up, come out of hibernation or WHY.

Windows has other ideas and must some how get between the LAN
hardware and the PSU hardware.

The lan port on my desktop machine stays powered all the time (even in
S5), it will reliably WoL if it's in hibernate (S4), ...

In theory, seen in many places on t'net, Windows won't come out of
hibernation (be that real hibernation or hybrid hibernation) only
sleep.

... trouble is other things seem to wake it up as well...

The LAN hardware can probably be configured to respond not only to
the really rather carefully constructed Magic Packet and/or some
other packets that are musch more likely to occur in normal traffic.
The LAN port on my target machine is configured for Magic Packet
only. Or was I wouldn't be surpised if windows has tweaked it to some
other setting.

--
Cheers
Dave.