Sofie

Default Zenith SR3587DT Sound OK, No Picture????

William R. Walsh:
Your comment about "plug 'er in and see what smokes" reminds me of a
"technician" that once worked in my shop...... if he was troubleshooting a
piece of equipment that was blowing fuses, instead of actually doing some
real troubleshooting and component testing, etc.... he would install a much
higher rated fuse to see what smoked. Unfortunately with that method,
there are lots of (what were good) parts that get smoked too, which runs up
the repair bill, parts and labor.... and then the customer is not happy
with the final invoice amount and won't come back..... a lost customer for
sure.
The final straw that forced me to fire this "technician" was when he was
working on a very nice, high end stereo receiver that he was
"troubleshooting" ..... after he went home, I happened to glance a look at
the unit on his bench.... he had installed 2 cut-off 1/4" bolts where two 8
amp fuses were supposed to go. After he was fired the next day, I finally
got the unit going but tons of parts along with the pcb were fried, charred,
and smoked..... I ate the extra repair expenses to keep the customer
coming back.
William....in my opinion this is NOT good service practice..... just like
disabling speaker "protection" circuitry in amplifiers and disabling
"shut-down" circuitry when troubleshooting televisions. I have had stuff
come into my shop that had previous repair attempts by so called techs using
these methods..... and they left the circuitry disabled and butchered the
unit..... this could be a safety issue and a disaster if the subsequent
shop does not catch the modifications and do the repair job correctly.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"William R. Walsh" m
wrote in message news:HBcXa.55756$Ho3.8481@sccrnsc03...
Hi!

A Technician would never ever think of disableing
the Shut Down circuit like you wish to do.
Do it the correct way ..The right way.

Not say who is or is not, but sometimes you've got to disable a protection
or shutdown circuit to fix a problem--even if the only result is burning

up
something.

I'm not a tech, and I haven't had to do so very often, but sometimes it

just
takes a "plug 'er in and see what smokes" test to get to the bottom of
something.

William