techtrainer

Default Sony KV27XBR37 suddenly stopped working

Hi All:
Please help. My Sony Trinitron TV (model KV27XBR37) suddenly stopped
working today after 8.5 years of flawless performance. This is what
happened:
- all of a sudden lost picture, but sound was perfect
- tried switching on the VCR (trying to watch through that) but no picture
- the 'timer/stand by' light kept blinking during this time.
- I switched it off, checked all the connections, disconnected from main
power supply and then connected again. Switched it on, but got only the
sound, no picture and the 'timer/stand by' light continued blinking
- and then all of a sudden it just died, as if it was a timer to die. I
am not able to switch it on.
- I smelt a faint burning smell in the room which I could trace it back to
the TV itself, but have no idea what it could be.

Please help. I have no extended warranty left on the TV .. looking for
any help. I bought the TV in Dec 1994 from Circuit City.
Calling Sony didn't help .. they just referred me to a local repair place.

Thanks very much.
-- Bill