Mike

Default Zenith SR3587DT Sound OK, No Picture????

The capacitor wasnt even an electrolytic, it was blue, and polyester type
one or something like that.

I did check bad joints, that was the whole problem in the first place. The
picture was too wide, and it was bowed in, and I recieved it with no
horizontal deflection, but it had HV.

well, just shortly after the flyback began to squeel, squal like it shorted,
and as soon as it did, it lost the picture as it was squeeling, and then it
blew the HOT, and it took me awhile to find out it opened a series cap to
the drive transistor.

I pulled the HOT to run tests, I shunted the cap, and the drive came back. I
replaced it, and then put the HOT back in, and tried to power it up, the
flyback made the same squeel, but it only happened for a split second before
the HOT shorted again. I heard the static pops, like the HV was trying to
kick up, the HV was there and gone under a second.

"LASERandDVDfan" wrote in message
one more thing, the square wave pulse is continous, its not shutting
down, probably because its not getting to the flyback, or the base of the
HOT, it dies off at the driver xistor. its there on the base, gone on the
collector

Forgive me for being blunt, but it sounds more like you're experimenting,

not
repairing.

You should have checked the simple stuff first, like bad caps or even cold
joints, but you automatically assumed that it was a major problem.

When you thought it may have been a cap, you shunted it in circuit?!

What you should have done was take the suspected cap out of the chassis

and
tested it for high ESR and to see if it can hold to its rated capacity. -
Reinhart