Alan Harriman

Default How to fix tape eating VCR

On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 06:42:48 -0500, wrote:

How does one fix a VCR that eats tapes. I know the problem is
mechinical, but how in the heck do I test the thing? Do I need to
purchase a gross of blank tapes for the machine to eat while I repair
it? Or, does someone make an unbreakable tape to use for testing?

Either purchase a commercially available clear plastic "dummy" test cartridge,
or fabricate your own from an unwanted tape. To make, disassemble a cartridge,
remove and discard the two reels & tape, cover the two end sensor holes from the
inside with black tape, remove the clear plastic tops, then reassemble. To use,
simply load the blank cartridge and carefully watch for anything unusual as the
tape loads, cycles thru play, ff, rew, ejects etc.

Alan Harriman

Mark